Oct.2, 2016

What a fabulous camping trip last week!  Thanks to all the parents who volunteered to drive or chaperon on the trip.  I'm sure you had a great time as I saw lots of smiles from everyone.  Thanks also to the students who were polite, respectful and put their energies into having a great time.  Click on the link below to see more photos of the camping trip and our hike to Reginald Hill.


Link to Rathtrevor pix

Starting this week students will be required to do at least 20 minutes of home reading each school night.  They will receive a reading log which will be kept in their Planner.  They must record their reading every night (date and minutes) and show it to me in the morning.  If the log is not completed I will keep them in 20 minutes at lunch to do their reading.  It is homework and must be done!  Obviously if  something occurs at home that makes it impossible for them to do the reading they will be excused for that night.  Just let me know in the Planner.

A reminder to pay Vivienne $26.50 for school supplies if you haven't done so already.  Thanks!


Subjects

Math:   We continue to study patterns and some coordinate geometry. We're using a lot of t-charts with students to predict and create number patterns.  "Math is the science of patterns."
Reading:   I am focusing on elements of reading aloud with students and we are using poems and stories to do both choral and individual reading.  Some students will be getting additional reading support for 40 minutes 3 times a week. 
Students continue to read "just right" books during Silent Reading time which I have daily.   Students are also reading booklets from Reading A to Z in their reading level.  
Writing:   This week students will be creating idea webs for telling about the camp trip to Rathtrevor then they will be writing about it on the computer.  I continue to focus on basic writing skills including sentence structure and grammar.  
Social Studies:  We are completing a study of Canada and the provinces/territories.  I plan to do some compass work in the next few weeks. 
Art:  We continue to look at patterns in Art and do some lettering.
PE:  I am starting to work with balance and ball handling skills.  Dance will be focusing on folk dances including the Hora and a simple line dance.  
French:  I have started introducing beginning phrases with the students such as introductions--"Bonjour, Je m'appelle..."


You are welcome to phone me or email me if you have  any questions about what is happening in class.  250-537-4962  or jlightfoot@sd64.bc.ca






No comments:

Post a Comment