Sept. 9, 2019

Welcome to the new school year!  I'm really looking forward to a wonderful and exciting year with 22 new grade 4/5 students.  We're already starting lots of activities with a hike on Wednesday to Drummond park, parent interviews on the 19th, a camping trip on the 25th, and a day at Cusheon Cove with the Nature Conservancy on Oct. 2.  I'll let you know more about the parent interviews and camping trip with notes home this week.  I'll also try to contact all parents by email this week as well.  If you every need to chat about your child or have some questions or suggestions please give me an email or call at home.  I'm happy to chat with you.

Below is a link to a folder of class photos I'm taking.  Meet the new class!

 class photos 2019

Subjects

Math:  Our focus in math for the next few weeks is patterns.  Understanding patterns is important for learning to understanding all math concepts.  "Math is the science of patterns."
Reading:   I am starting to get to know students and their reading skills.  I'm starting with getting students into "just right" reading levels with a reading program called Reading A to Z.  I am also going to be sorting students into different spelling groups and teaching them spelling and word patterns throughout the year.  
Writing:   My focus for the first few weeks is on sentences--what they are, how to identify them, and how to write them correctly.  We'll also look at using descriptive words in sentences.  
Tech: As soon as we can get all student Logins and Google passwords we'll be starting to look at applications and computer skills including typing online.  
Science: We are looking at the water cycle for a few days and then studying trees.      
Art:   We are focused on points and lines and basic art skills.
PE:    In PE we will be focusing basic coordination and movement skills for the first few weeks.  We will also be doing dance once a week and I plan to start with folk dance this week.  
French:   In French students are learning basic greetings and simple phrases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment